Renuzit® Projects — AMERICANA BEAR
Designed By Craft Marketing Connections
Dial RenuzitÂ® LongLastÂ® Adjustable Air Freshener*
2" diameter hard-pressed foam ball
Acrylic paint*: Mink Tan, Navy Blue, Red Iron Oxide
Fabric A: blue and ecru striped for dress and sleeves, 10" x 28"
Fabric B: rust and ecru striped for pinafore, 2 1/2" x 13"
Fabric C: blue and ecru stars for hat, 8" square
(Note: Any three coordinating fabrics can be used. If using striped fabrics, remember to consider the direction of the stripes when cutting out pattern pieces. Also match paint color of the star decoration with the color of your fabric choice.)
Small amount of fiberfill
Small amount of raffia
Felt*: 2" x 4" piece of Cashmere Tan
Satin ribbon: 22" length of 1/4" wide rust; 6" length of 1/8" wide navy
1 yd. and 20" of 7/8" wide ecru eyelet lace
Poms: two 1/2" tan; one 1/4" black
ForsterÂ® WoodsiesTM Stars*: one small (7/8"); one large (1 5/8")
Two 1/4" black buttons
Heavy ecru thread
Glue gun & glue sticks*; paint brush*; scissors*; serrated knife; masking tape; ruler; compass; paper; pencil; needle
RECOMMENDED MATERIALS MANUFACTURERS:
*Dial RenuzitÂ® LongLastÂ® Adjustable Air Freshener; Kunin RainbowTM Felt; DecoArtTM AmericanaÂ® Acrylic Paint; ForsterÂ® WoodsiesTM; Adhesive Technologies Professional I Glue Gun and CraftyÂ® Magic MeltÂ® Glue Sticks; FiskarsÂ® Scissors and Loew-CornellÂ® White Nylon, Series 797-F, Size 6 Flat Stain Brush are recommended products.
(Note: Wherever sewing is required, glue can be used instead, or a combination of both. Use craft glue when repositioning may be needed or when glue may show, let dry completely. Use glue gun to speed other assembly, glue a few inches at a time and press in place. A 1/4" seam allowance is used for sewing throughout unless otherwise specified.)
1) HEAD: Use serrated knife to cut 1" diameter slice off bottom of foam ball. Paint ball with two coats Mink tan and let dry. Glue cut edge of ball to top of RenuzitÂ® topper.
2) DRESS: Cut a 5 1/4"" x 24" piece of Fabric A. Sew binding edge of 24" length lace at bottom of right side of dress with scalloped edge up. Fold seam allowance back and press with iron. For back seam, align right sides of 5 1/4" sides, and sew together. Sew gathering stitches 1/4" from top edge. Position on topper, tightly pull threads around neck and knot. Spot glue.
3) SLEEVE UNIT: Cut a 4" x 9 1/4" piece of Fabric A. Fold in half with right sides together, sew along
9 1/4" side. Turn sleeve unit right side out. Fold lengthwise and glue middle 3" of sleeve unit in quarters. (See Step 3 A Illustration.) Lightly stuff each sleeve with fiberfill. For ruffle on sleeve edge, find center of a 2 1/2" length of lace, place drop of glue at this spot on binding edge and tack to sleeve unit directly across from seam with ruffled edge of lace facing away from fabric (See Step 3 B Illustration.) Run a line of glue along lace binding edge to right of center. Attach to bottom edge of sleeve, pinching fabric to form small pleats, and having end of lace align with seam. Repeat to left of center, overlapping lace slightly at seam. Tack glue ruffle edges together at seam. Repeat for other sleeve lace.
4) PAWS: Cut two paws from Cashmere Tan felt according to pattern. Glue paws into sleeve. Position and glue middle folded area of sleeve unit around back of neck.
5) PINAFORE: Cut a 2 1/2" x 13" piece of Fabric B. Sew binding edge of 13" length of lace at bottom right side of pinafore with scalloped edge up. Fold seam allowance back and press with iron. Fold back 1/4" on each 2 1/2" side, press and stitch close to fold. Sew gathering stitches 1/4" from top edge. Gather until it measures 8", knot threads. Place 22" length of rust ribbon right side down, horizontally on table. With wrong side of fabric up, center and glue gathered edge on ribbon with top edges aligned. (See Step 5 A Illustration.) For shoulder ruffles on pinafore, cut two 4" lengths of lace. Place binding edge of lace to wrong side of pinafore, 1/2" to left of center front and glue in place. Similarly glue the other 4" piece of lace 1/2" to right of center front. (See Step 5 B Illustration.) Place pinafore around waist and tie the 1/4" ribbon tails into bow at center back. Place pinafore shoulder ruffles up over the sleeves and glue in place under pinafore waist ribbon, approximately 1/2" from left and right of center back.
6) HAT: Cut 7 1/2" circle from Fabric C. Sew gathering stitch around circle 1/8" from edge. Pull threads to gather enough to fit on head. Lightly stuff hat with fiberfill, position and glue on head with back at base of neck and front at upper forehead. Beginning and ending at side neck, glue binding edge of 6" lace to sides and front of gathered edge of hat.
7) FEATURES: For jowls, glue two tan 1/2" poms together. Position and glue onto face, keeping features low for a cute look. For nose, glue 1/4" black pom to top center of jowls. For eyes, use needle and thread to run several stitches through holes of two buttons, knot ends. Position and glue buttons above jowls. Cut two ears from Cashmere Tan felt according to pattern. Glue bottom of ears to upper sides of head over binding edge of lace on hat.
8) BOW: Tie 6" length of navy ribbon into bow and glue at center front of top edge of dress.
9) STAR DECORATION: Paint large star Navy Blue, small star Red Iron Oxide, using 2-3 coats acrylic paint and let dry. Center and glue small star r on top of large star. Make a loop in 4-5 strands of raffia, crossing bottom ends and glue to back of large star. Glue star decoration into bear,s paws.
10) REPLACEMENT OF AIR FRESHENER: When the original gel is depleted, simply replace with a new container base. If your project base is decorated, remove dried gel.
From a new container, remove new, non-toxic gel. Then slip it over the post of the decorated base and reposition the decorated topper.
Choose a project and get started!
Patterns are included with each project sheet. To use, place tracing paper over pattern and trace with pencil. Then fold and cut out both layers to create full size pattern. To attach patterns to felt or fabric, use pins or double-sided tape.
To reuse your character after the original gel is gone, simply place the decorated topper on a new air freshener base.