Renuzit® Projects — QUICK SANTA CLAUS
Designed By Craft Marketing Connections
Quick Santa Claus can be made in less than 30 minutes. No one will ever guess that there's a RenuzitÂ® Air Freshener tucked under the Santa Claus!
The Dial Corporation RenuzitÂ® LongLastÂ® Adjustable Air Freshener*
Two 2" diameter hard-pressed foam !word-removed!
Soft Peach acrylic paint*
Medium amount white curly hair
Fabric: 9" x 22" piece red Christmas print (coat, hat); 6" x 7" piece green Christmas print (bag)
1 1/2" x 2" black felt
2" x 12" white plush felt
Small amount fiberfill
12" length metallic gold cord
20" length jute
Two 4mm black pins
Three 9mm gold jingle bells
9" length twig
Glue gun & glue sticks*; serrated knife; paper; pencil; masking tape; ruler; scissors*; pinking shears*; paint brush*; needle and thread or sewing machine
SUBSTITUTIONS: Foam ball = wood bead; curly hair = yarn, fiberfill, other doll hair products; fabric = felt paper; jute = yarn
RECOMMENDED MATERIALS MANUFACTURERS:
*The Dial Corporation RenuzitÂ® LongLastÂ® Adjustable Air Freshener; DecoArtÂ® AmericanaÂ® Acrylic Paint; Adhesive TechTM Ultimate Glue Gun and Professional Quality Glue Sticks; FiskarsÂ® Scissors and SoftouchÂ® Pinking Shears; and Loew-CornellÂ® White Nylon, Series 797-F, Size 6 Flat Stain Brush are recommended products.
(Note: Wherever sewing is required, glue can be used instead, or a combination of both. When using glue gun, glue a few inches at a time and press in place. A 1/4" seam allowance is used for sewing throughout unless otherwise specified.)
1) TORSO: Use serrated knife to cut 1" diameter slice off bottom and top of one foam ball. Glue flat side of ball to top of RenuzitÂ® topper.
2) HEAD: Use serrated knife to cut 1" diameter slice off bottom of foam ball. Paint ball with two coats Soft Peach. Let dry. Set aside.
3) COAT: Cut 8" x 12" piece of red fabric. From plush felt, cut a 1/2" x 12" strip and glue to bottom edge of coat.
(Note: if you will be using a sewing machine for seams, do not glue on the beginning and ending 1" of plush felt to prevent gumming up" the sewing machine needle.) Fold coat in half, right sides together, and sew along the 8" sides. Turn right side out. Sew gathering stitches 1/4" from top edge. Slip over top of torso, with seam at back, tightly pull gathering stitches and knot. Lightly glue gathered edge to top of torso (foam ball). Glue flat side of painted head onto top of torso over gathered coat. From plush felt, cut a 1/2" x 5 1/2" strip. Wrap and glue plush felt strip around neck, overlap ends at back. Wrap jute around waist and knot in front.
4) SLEEVE UNIT: (Note, this will form both sleeves.) Cut
4" x 9 1/4" piece of red fabric. Fold in half with right sides together, sew along 9 1/4" side. Turn sleeve unit right side out. Fold lengthwise and glue middle 3" of sleeve
unit in quarters (See Step 4 Illustration). From plush felt, cut two 1/2" x 4" strips. Glue one strip to bottom edge of each sleeve, meeting at seam. Trim ends as needed.
Position and glue middle folded area of sleeve unit around back of neck.
5) MITTENS: Cut two mittens from black felt according to pattern. Glue upper edge of mittens inside sleeves opposite the sleeve seam with thumbs facing each other.
6) HAIR AND BEARD: On back and sides of head, position and glue curly hair around bottom half of head. Form beard and glue to front of head. Glue a few strands of curly hair to forehead for bangs.
7) EYES: Position and insert two pins for eyes.
8) HAT: Cut hat from red fabric according to pattern. Fold fabric right sides together and sew along straight edges. Turn right side out and glue to head just covering hairline. From plush felt cut 1/2" x 7" strip and glue along bottom edge of hat with ends meeting at center back. Trim ends as needed. Fold point of hat down and glue to plush felt. Glue jingle bell over point.
9) BAG: Cut bag from green fabric according to pattern. Trim top straight edge of bag with pinking shears. With right sides together, sew side and bottom edges. (See Step 9 Illustration). Turn right side out, lightly stuff with fiberfill. Gather at top, wrap twist tie around bag, twist together and trim ends. Place length of gold cord around top of bag over twist tie and tie into a bow. Trim ends, glue a jingle bell to each cord end. On right side of Santa, position bag next to Santa and glue side of bag to coat and top of bag to mitten.
10) WALKING STICK: Position and glue twig into left mitten. Also tack glue at shoulder and bottom of coat.
11) GEL REPLACEMENT: When the original gel is depleted, simply remove the topper from a new RenuzitÂ® Air Freshener and replace it with the decorated topper.
Choose a project and get started!
Patterns are included with each project sheet. To use, place tracing paper over pattern and trace with pencil. Then fold and cut out both layers to create full size pattern. To attach patterns to felt or fabric, use pins or double-sided tape.
To reuse your character after the original gel is gone, simply place the decorated topper on a new air freshener base.